Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kirk the coach gives Kirk the runner a break

I am not going to repeat the that confusing schizophrenic post from last week. At the end of the post I implied that I was going to work harder pacing off of heart Rate this week. That was before I looked at my schedule and found an Easy Week (FINALLY). Wednesdays are my quality days, and I did not want to get out there without some sort of goal and decided to work on pacing because I have continual issues with late race or late workout fade. So I decided to do an easy paced progressive run. According to Runners World SmartCoach, my easy pace is 10-11 min/mile. The plan was to start at 30 seconds over my easy pace, drop 30 seconds per mile, and finish 30 seconds under my easy pace. The early morning conditions were not great for a quality workout (83* and 74% RH at 6:00 am), but you take what you can and do the best you can with. It worked pretty well. The mile splits were; 11:04(too fast), 10:54(ok), 10:25(ok), 10:05(ok, but feeling the heat), 9:28(good), 11;50 (cool down).

In the Team in Training World, it looks like I will be able travel with the team to the Maui Marathon in September. I will not run the marathon. I will be coaching and cheering from the sidelines.

1 comment:

GB said...

Good job on that run, Kirk. I like using the HRM too. I still primarily go by feel, but now I like to know just how hard my heart is working!

Enjoy Maui! I ran that marathon in '03 and it was tough (due to the heat and the long, long, never ending highway). But the trip itself was FANTASTIC!

Where are you staying? I hope you get a chance to swim with the sea turtles, snorkel, kayak, parasail and hike! Someday I will go back!