Saturday, July 26, 2008

Another Kirk the Coach Post

I know that I have been subjecting those who care to read to a whole bunch of posts where I distinguish between my running self and my coaching self. I have done this in relation to the self talk that I soemtimes use to get me to get those runs in.

Today that distinction came into sharp contrast on a Team in Training run today. I spent nearly 3 hours on a 12.6 mile training run. That is about an hour longer than it would have taken me on a training run. The difference, I am not currently training for an event, and the girl that I was running with is. She was having a real rough day and ended up walking most of the course. I'm proud of her because she stuck it out and completed the course. I think it is a great policy that Team in Training coaches are not to go to run the races that they are coaching for. It helps us to focus on what is important, the training and preparation of the athlete.

If I had been training for an event, it would have been easy to get impatient. But, since I was there as the coach, it was much easier to stay with her and make sure that she was OK and that she was able tomake it back to the cars...

Y'all have a great day and keep an eye out for your friends.

No comments: