Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A place to Start....

How does one start a blog? I know some of you have been wondering when I would post something because there have been several views on my profile since I created it to use when leaving messages on other blogs.

I guess I’ll start with the picture to the right. The picture was taken just before the start of the Houston Marathon. It seems that Cancer is a current sub-plot of my story. I ran the Houston Marathon to raise money for the American cancer Society and to honor two people. The first is my Father. He is currently fighting Colon Cancer. He started chemotherapy last week and his prognosis is good. The second is a precious little boy named Cody. I have never met Cody or his family, but I got to know him through his father Mickey and a community of friends at the Runners World Masters forum. You can learn more about Mickey and Cody by clicking the link to Deck Apes Blog on the right.

My current involvement with cancer is just stating up again and it is a repeat effort I have decided to help Athletes get ready to run a marathon with Team in Training. They will have a choice of running the Maui Marathon or the Nike Women’s marathon in San Francisco. Along the way they will raise a lot of Money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. This group holds a special place in my heart because I ran my first Marathon for them in 2005. Right after I got back from the trip, I learned that a child that my son goes to school and church with had been diagnosed with Lymphoma. She received treatment and is in remission thanks to research that was funded by groups like the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the American Cancer Society.

So, I will use this space to let you know what is going on in my life, talk about my family, friends, and running. I will also encourage our new Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Marathon Team to stop by. I’ll post about training and use this as a space for them to stop by and ask questions.

No comments: