Thursday, May 22, 2008

Think about your friends Thursday

I just called my Dad. He had his second chemo treatment yesterday, and he is doing very well. The treatments are done on an outpatient basis. He is able to drive himself to and from appointments. He stopped and had breakfast (lunch?) on the way home. For my running, I got four miles at a nice easy pace. I was a bit stiff from the tempo work yesterday.

I have a real good friend that I never met. He lives in Philadelphia, and I got to know him through the Masters Forum on Runners World Online. Anyway, life has thrown a plot twist into his story that he never imagined. He is bruised, but I don't think he is beaten. Its is a good time to think about, remember, and pray for our friends.

TnT athletes, today was a beautiful morning for your two mile runs. Rest up and hydrate tomorrow for the group run on Saturday. If you want to Cross Train tomorrow, do some lower stress stuff such as an easy bike ride, yoga or stretching exercises. You will probably want to save the weight lifting for earlier in the week. And, send me the links your fund raising sites. I'll put all the links up on this blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kirk good for Dad. Hopefully this is the last of the treatments. sounds like he is doing well with them. Prayers for your Dad as always.
How can I help our friend out? With his last post to his hug thread I am worried.
I do not want to pry.

Happy running to your TNT folks.

Karen (geel)

Gettin Older said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gettin Older said...

Dad has about 10 more chemo sessions after this one.

As far as our friend, Just keep doing what you are doing.

Actually from his last post I am kinda encouraged. I don't know if you know what is going on in his life and he did not give me permission to tell anyone. But as he said, his personal life has fallen apart and it is not likely to get any better.

He said that he was getting help. That seems like a more positive and concrete step than trading messages to near-strangers 100s of miles away. I'm going to try to maintain contact and keep checking to make sure he follows though on that help.